Tasty Recipe: Stove Top Chili
Sponsored by Saint Peter’s Healthcare System
Nothing better than a warm bowl of chili on a cold winter’s day. Here’s a delicious recipe that is the perfect comfort food.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound beef, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapeño
- 2 cups water
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 sun-dried tomato halves, not packed in oil, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped (about 6 large)
Heat oil to hot in a large pot on the stove and put beef in 1 layer to brown quickly. Add onion, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cook until onions wilt, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, water, beans, sun-dried tomatoes, and mushrooms. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 2 to 3 hours, uncovered, stirring at times. Alternative cooking method: Cook 10 to 12 hours on low in a slow-cooker.
Each 1-1/2-cup serving contains about 290 calories, 28.5 g protein, 4.7 g fat, 43 mg cholesterol, 36 g carbohydrates, 11.7 g fiber, and 716 mg sodium. (For less sodium, use low-salt diced tomatoes.)
Online Medical Reviewer: Brittany Poulson MDA RDN CD CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Heather Trevino
© 2000-2023 The StayWell Company, LLC. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.