Tasty Recipe: Breakfast On The Run
Sponsored by Saint Peter’s Healthcare System
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it’s not always easy to fit it in with our busy schedules. Here’s a tasty recipe for a breakfast you can take with you on the road.
- 4 tablespoons apple butter
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 3 whole-wheat English muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 6 1/2-ounce slices low-fat, cracked black pepper ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced green onion (scallion) tops
- 3 ounces low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
In a small bowl, combine apple butter and mustard. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture on each muffin half.
In another small bowl, combine ham, onion, and cheese. Spread each muffin half with this mixture.
Place muffin halves on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until the topping is bubbly. (Both mixtures may be prepared in advance and stored separately for a quick breakfast.)
Each serving contains about 137 calories, 10 g protein, 3 g fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 19 g carbohydrates, 2.5 g fiber, and 400 mg sodium.
Online Medical Reviewer: Brittany Poulson MDA RDN CD CDE
Online Medical Reviewer: Heather Trevino
Date Last Reviewed: 4/1/2020
© 2000-2023 The StayWell Company, LLC. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.