What to Do If You Lose Power From Severe Weather and Other Safety Tips
Local storms have been reeking havoc in our area recently. Over this past weekend a man from Cranford was using his power drill inside his home when his drill was struck by lightning. He was taken to the hospital and luckily, he will have a full recovery.
Yesterday, Alexandria Township, New Jersey was hit by a powerful storm. In Alexandria Township, on June 27, 2023, strong winds from a storm blew open doors on several residents, allowing debris to enter several houses. Residents faced the unsettling experience of dealing with unexpected intrusions, emphasizing the destructive force of nature. Local authorities are assessing the situation and providing support to affected homeowners.
In other areas in Central Jersey, torrential rains flooded streets, causing widespread damage to homes and infrastructure. Emergency services quickly responded, providing assistance.
Various parts of the United States have been experiencing severe weather, which has resulted in some people losing power. What should you do if the weather causes a power outage in your area?
- Besides contacting your local electric company and reporting the outage, it’s advised after a storm to always stay away from fallen/sagging power lines and any trees in contact with those lines.
- There’s plenty of work that can be done before a storm to make sure you’re prepared for an outage, including charging all cell phones/computers, have an emergency supply kit with nonperishable food and water, and have a stock of necessary medicines.
- A portable radio/TV or a NOAA weather radio will also come in handy for local updates.
- Pet owners also need to have plans to keep their pets safe during an outage.
- If you have a generator, make sure to follow all manufacturer instructions and have it operating in a well-ventilated, dry outdoor area.
- What’s the longest you’ve ever gone without power?
Listen to Joel Katz and Maryann Morgan every weekday morning from 6 to 10 AM for everything you need to get your workday moving in the right direction. Joel and Maryann keep you informed with news updates at the top of every hour, traffic and weather three times an hour, and Entertainment Updates at 6:10 and 8:10. Check out “What’s Trending” at 7:10 and “What Are You Talking About” at 9:10. The winning starts at 6:45 with the “Impossible Question,” and continues at 7:20, 8:20 and 9:20. Joel and Maryann in the Morning on Magic 98.3