Warm yourself up this winter with this hearty, healthy soup.
- 1/2 cup raw brown rice
- 1/3 cup medium barley
- 1/3 cup red lentils
- 1/3 cup yellow split peas
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 12 cups water
Put all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for about one hour, until all grains are tender. Check seasonings. Soup will be thick. You can thin, if you like, by adding water or chicken stock.
Serves eight. Each 11/2 cup serving contains approximately 236 calories, 22 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 30 grams carbohydrate.
© 2000-2018 The StayWell Company, LLC. 800 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional’s instructions.