Whether You are Playing in the Snow or Just Chillin’ Inside, Here’s a Classic Cocktail to Try (Over 21 Please)
While childhood memories of my Mom opening packets and pouring them in a cup after sledding or ice skating still remains a very fond memory, I’ve grown to enjoy an adult spiked hot cocoa. I have to say, hot chocolate is my favorite winter drink. Whether I’m adding a cinnamon stick in the cup or a candy cane with whipped cream , I try to change it up so it’s a little different than your basic hot cocoa. I sometimes add more cocoa and flour to make it a thicker more Italian Hot Chocolate recipe. I can’t lie, there is nothing like a little alcohol added in my coffee or hot chocolate. Grab some bourbon and follow this recipe for a cup of perfection to warm you up this Holiday Season.
Spiced Mexican Hot Chocolate
- 4 c. whole milk
- 2 c. half-and-half
- 1/2 c. dulce de leche ( Dulce de leche is a confection prepared by slowly heating sweetened milk to create a caramel color and flavor. HEAT SLOW AND LOW! I learned this from experience since I usually have no patience and increase temps to high so things will cook quicker!)
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 10 oz. dark chocolate
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. bourbon
- Whisk together milk, half-and-half, dulce de leche, and cinnamon sticks in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Return mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Gradually whisk in dark chocolate, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in pure vanilla extract, salt, and bourbon, if desired. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve warm.